The secure (encrypted) online application can be found here.
RENTAL SCREENING PROCESS, APPLICATION CRITERIA and NOTICES
Thank you for considering a property with Trillium Property Management, LLC. Please review these application criteria, description of the screening process, and notices before applying.
Read the criteria and arrange an appointment to view the property if you are interested and will qualify.
Have each occupant over the age of 18 submit a complete application, including copies of all supporting documentation to verify the application, including photo identification and proof of income.
The fee for credit and background screening is $35 per adult occupant. Applications are processed one at a time, and you will not be charged if another application is being screened. I will send a sample lease to review.
Screening takes about two complete business days, depending on the response time of the references. If we do not hear back from references within a reasonable time, we will move on to the next complete application.
We comply with all Federal, State, and local laws concerning fair housing, and do not discriminate based on age, race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, disability, source of income, or other protected class.
- Valid government photo identification.
- A complete and accurate application is required for each resident 18 years of age or over, and/or for minors who are primary applicants in order for the screening process to begin.
- Credit and background screening will be processed at applicants' expense. We will send a link for you to use to apply for the screenings.
- All applicants must be able to enter a legal and binding contract.
- Incomplete, inaccurate, unverifiable, or falsified information provided at any point in the process will be grounds for denial.
- Any applicant currently using illegal drugs or reporting a conviction for the illegal manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance will be denied.
- Any individual who may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of an individual, the house or complex, or the property of others will be denied.
- The total security deposit required will be that of the least qualified applicant.
- If one application in a party is denied for any reason, all applications will be denied.
- In order to qualify as a co-signer, you must fully meet all areas of the criteria without negative credit, have minimum monthly income of six (6) times the stated rent, and undergo the full screening process.
- The applicant's demeanor will be considered during the process. Applicants will be denied if they make any derogatory or offensive comments, or act in a threatening, combative, intoxicated, or disorderly manner during any phase of the application process.
- Gross monthly household income must equal three (3) times the stated monthly rent. If monthly income does not equal 3 times the stated monthly rent, a qualified co-signer will be required.
- A debt to income ratio of no more than 20% is required. If a tenant has little to no debt, the monthly household income requirement may be reduced to no less than between 2.7 and 3 times the monthly rent, according to the debt to income ratio.
- Two most recent paycheck stubs from your current employer will be required for employed applicants. Contractors must submit bank statements. Verifiable income or liquid assets equal to three (3) times the total annual rent will be required for applicants with no employer. (Verifiable income may mean, but is not limited to: bank accounts, spousal support/child support, trust accounts, social security, unemployment, welfare, grants/loans, or other verifiable income.) Self-employed, or applicants without employers (pay-stubs) will be required to show proof of income through two months of current bank statements and copies of the previous tax return. Self-employed applicants will be verified through the state.
- Application will be denied if the legal source of income cannot be verified. Documentation to prove income must be submitted with the application.
- All applicants residing at the property must be current on all child support obligations with no payments past due or in arrears in any county, state, or local jurisdiction.
- Two years of verifiable rental or mortgage history from a current (within 12 months) third party is required. Home ownership is verified through the county tax assessor. Applicants with mortgage statements currently reflecting a past due balance will be denied.
- Home ownership negotiated through a land sales contract is verified through the contract holder. Please provide proof of contract, payment, and contact information.
- Any FED judgment or eviction against the applicant within the past five (5) years will result in a denial of the application.
- Applications with rental history reflecting past due rent or any outstanding balance of fees or repairs will be denied.
- If a landlord gives a negative reference or refuses to give a reference, the application will be denied.
- Two (2) or more 72-hour notices within a period of one year will result in a denial.
- Two (2) or more NSF checks within a period of one year will result in a denial.
- Rental history demonstrating noise or other documented complaints will result in a denial.
Applicants will be denied if there is any account 90 or more days past due, a bankruptcy, or discharged bankruptcy within 5 years, or unpaid collections totaling $100 or more, or garnishments, judgments, liens.
A credit history showing no negative reports is required. Any one of the following items is considered negative credit and will require an additional deposit and co-signer.
- Repossessions, liens, judgments, or garnishments.
- One or more (non-medical) accounts 60 or more days past due.
- Unpaid collections totaling less than $100.
- Bankruptcy, including discharged, within 7 years.
- Unpaid collections that are entirely from medical expenses.
- Any history of one or more accounts in collections.
A Qualified Co-Signer and an additional security deposit is required if any of the aforementioned items appear on the applicant’s Credit Report. The rent security deposit will increase by one month’s rent in addition to any other required deposits.
- Upon receipt of the Rental Application and screening results, a search of public records is conducted to determine whether applicant or any proposed resident or occupant has a “Conviction” (which means: charges pending as of the date of the application; a conviction; a guilty plea; or no contest plea), for any of the following crimes as provided in ORS 90.303(3): "drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent."
- Owner/Agent will not consider a previous arrest that did not result in a Conviction or expunged records.
- If applicant, or any proposed occupant, has a Conviction in their past which would disqualify them under these criminal conviction criteria, and desires to submit additional information along with the application so an individualized assessment (described below) upon receipt of the results of the public records search and prior to a denial, applicant should do so. Otherwise, applicant may request the review process after denial as set forth below, however, see item (3)(3) under “Criminal Conviction Review Process” below regarding holding the unit.
A single Conviction for any of the following, subject to the results of any review process, shall be grounds for denial of the Rental Application.
- Crimes involving: murder, manslaughter, arson, rape, kidnapping, child sex crimes, or manufacturing or distribution of a controlled substance.
- Crimes not listed above involving: drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent.
- Conviction of any crime that requires lifetime registration as a sex offender will result in denial.
CRIMINAL CONVICTION REVIEW PROCESS
Trillium will engage in an individualized assessment of the applicant’s or other proposed occupant’s Convictions if applicant has satisfied all other criteria (the denial was based solely on one or more Convictions) and:
1. Applicant has submitted supporting documentation prior to the public records search; or
2. Applicant is denied based on failure to satisfy these criminal criteria and has submitted a written request along with supporting documentation. Supporting documentation may include:
- Certifications of treatments/rehab programs;
- Letter from employer, teacher, etc.
- Certification of trainings completed;
- Proof of employment; and
- Statement of the applicant
- Letter from parole or probation office;
- Letter from caseworker, therapist, counselor, etc.
3. Trillum will:
- Consider relevant individualized evidence of mitigating factors, which may include: the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct; the age of the convicted person at the time of the conduct; time since the criminal conduct; time since release from incarceration or completion of parole; evidence that the individual has maintained a good rental history before and/or after the conviction or conduct; and evidence of rehabilitation efforts. Trillium may request additional information and may consider whether there have been multiple Convictions as part of this process.
- Notify applicant of the results of Trillium's review within a reasonable time after receipt of all required information.
- Hold the unit for which the application was received for a reasonable time under all the circumstances to complete the review unless prior to receipt of applicant’s written request (if made after denial) the unit was committed to another applicant.
DISABLED ACCESSIBILITY STATEMENT
Trillium allows existing premises to be modified at the full and complete expense of the disabled person if the disabled person agrees to restore the premises (per fair housing guidelines) at their own expense to the pre-modified condition. We require:
- The applicant to seek the landlord’s written approval before making the modifications.
- Reasonable details regarding the extent of the work to be done.
- Names of the qualified contractors that will be used.
- Appropriate building permits and the required licenses must be made available for inspection by the landlord.
- A deposit for the restoration may be required, depending on the requests.
NOTICE OF INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
Before executing a rental agreement, tenants must obtain, provide proof of, and maintain during occupancy a $100,000 tenant liability insurance policy. All parties must be named on a shared policy or have their own individual policies.
This insurance requirement is waived if the household income of the tenant is equal to or less than 50 percent of the area median income, adjusted for family size as measured up to a five-person family, as determined by the Oregon Housing Stability Council based on information from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or if the housing is subsidized with public funds.
All adult occupants pay $35 for background and credit checks.
RENTAL SCREENING PROCESS
- Read this entire rental screening criteria and notifications page, including application acceptance and denial, below.
- Arrange an appointment to view a property.
- After or while viewing a property, if you are interested, submit a complete application (complete, and a complete application from each adult occupant or primary minor applicant) including:
- copies of all supporting documentation
- copies of valid government photo identification and social security cards
- background and credit check
- Expect about two full business days to review an application.
- If we cannot contact your references after 2 days, you may be denied.
- Please see Application Denial or Acceptance policies, below.
- If your application is denied due to negative and adverse information being reported, we recommend the following:
- If credit related, contact the credit reporting agency listed on the denial letter in order to identify who is reporting unfavorable information and request a correction if the information being reported is incorrect.
- If your application has been denied and you feel you qualify as a resident under the criteria stated above, you can write to:
Trillium Property Management, LLC, re: Equal Housing Opportunity, 4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd. #161, Portland, OR97214
with your explanation and to request a review. Your application will be reviewed within seven (7) working days from the date your letter is received (likely much sooner) and you will be notified of the outcome.
- In the event the unit is available for immediate occupancy, upon receipt of an application approval via actual notice, Applicant(s) will be required to acquire renter's liability insurance, make rent and deposit payments, and sign all required paperwork/lease within 2 business days of approval. Approval notification will be delivered electronically via email listed on the applications, text message, or phone. Deposits and rents due to move in include: the full first month's rent, full last month's rent, a security deposit in the amount of the rent or as listed in the ad, $400 per pet, if permitted as listed in the ad, and any additional deposits required per these criteria.
- In the event the unit is available at a future date, the applicant will be required to sign an Agreement to Execute Rental Agreement and pay a nonrefundable deposit to hold fee in the amount equal to the stated security deposit, but not including additional rent security deposits within 2 business days of approval notification. Upon successful execution of the Rental Agreement, including demonstration of obtaining, if applicable, Renter's Liability Insurance, this fee shall be applied toward the total move-in costs, but shall be forfeited to Landlord as damages to cover further marketing of the property, and lost rents, in the event the applicant fails to execute a Rental Agreement. Tenants who fail to execute a Rental Agreement or lease within 14 days will forfeit the deposit to hold, and the option to rent the property.
Thank you for considering a home managed by Trillium Property Management.
If pets are permitted (see listing) they must be pre-approved, will require an extra deposit, and must be listed on the rental agreement. No new dogs are permitted during a tenancy. Dogs must be 50 lbs or under, over one year of age, non-agressive breeds, and have rental references. Pets must have no history of aggression or destructive behavior.