Routine vs. Emergency Maintenance
Please act immediately if you are unsure whether something is an emergency, or for any of the following:
- Significant leaks or flooding. Please first shut off the water at the main, or at the fixture if it is coming from the house. Any leak that can't be shut off or contained until the next business day, or any leak that is causing property damage is an emergency. Call immediately if there is risk of damage to possessions or the property.
- Door lock or window malfunctions. Please call if you can't secure your home. (If you have accidentally locked yourself out outside of normal business hours, please call a locksmith at your own expense, or call me during business hours.)
- Electrical. If possible, and safe, turn off the breaker(s) connected to the problem. Any part of the system significantly sparking, producing sounds, smells, melting, or heat is an emergency, please call. If needed, call the fire department, or 911. If there is a power outage, please check outside. If it's a black-out, please check in here. A partial power outage is not an emergency.
- Gas smells. Please vacate the property immediately. Do not use a phone inside the house. Call 800-882-3377. Here is more information.
- Fire. Vacate, and call 911 first. In advance, know where your fire extinguishers are, and test smoke detectors quarterly.
- Carbon monoxide. If the alarm sounds, and nobody has signs of CO poisoning, check the CO detector. If it's battery operated, take the alarm outside, and check it for malfunctioning, or low battery. If you are unsure, or if it is a CO emergency, Call 911.
- Complete stoppage of the plumbing drain system. If a complete sewer stoppage or backup is flooding or threatening the property and/or possessions, please call. Do not call for a single clogged drain that is not overflowing. Never, ever, use Drano, LiquidPlumr, or other caustic drain cleaners. These can cause significant leaks in the drain lines. Use enzymatic drain cleaners.
- No heat during a cold snap. If the temperature is below 32 degrees and there is no other source of heat, please call and we can provide space heaters to keep the house from freezing. Never use your oven or range top for heat. This is a fire and CO hazard.
Many problems are significant, but will have to wait until business hours for repair, including, but not limited to the following. Please call the next day to have these addressed.
If there is a maintenance issue that requires expedited attention, but not immediate attention, it is considered a high-priority maintenance issue. These high-priority issues receive first priority over non-emergency issues and are usually done during regular maintenance hours.
- Major appliance breakdown
- Broken stair treads
- Minor plumbing leak
- Pest control
- Locked out of your home
- Roof leak. This is an emergent issue, but generally cannot be repaired until the next business day. Please put a bucket under the leak to contain it, and call the next day.
- Damaged or peeling wallboard, plaster, wallpaper, or linoleum
- Overflowing rain gutters or pooling near the house foundation
Routine maintenance are issues that do not require immediate attention and can be handled during normal business hours. Please email or use the following form to report these. Some examples are:
- Dripping water faucets
- Minor plumbing clog
- Lose hardware
- Ice maker not working
- Stove burner won't heat up
Tenants are responsible for the following:
- Changing range hood, and furnace filters as needed and indicated on the filter used
- Replacing all light bulbs
- Plunging toilets, maintaining all drains with enzymatic drain cleaner
- Testing and replacing batteries
- Snow and leaf removal from walkways and sidewalks